Online art classes can be a convenient and affordable way to learn a whole new skill without investing in the cost of traditional art school. But some online learning systems focus on a certain form of art such as painting, drawing, or photography, while others allow students to explore a range of other artistic skills. Which is right for you will depend on your own interests and how much time you have to dedicate to your studies. In order to be sure that you are getting the most out of your class, it will be important to follow a few basic tips.
Starting These Art Classes
- Before you sign up for any online art classes, be sure to find out exactly how many lessons you will need per month. Generally, most classes will give you one lesson a week, though some are more flexible with their lesson schedule. In addition to finding out how many lessons you will need, it is also helpful to find out what the minimum level of art that your online classes teach you. Some offer as little as one art lesson a week while others offer up to five lessons per month.
- After you have decided how many lessons you will need per month, it is time to consider how you will take these lessons. Some online art classes only allow you to draw pictures; others will allow you to create full blown paintings as well. Some drawing lessons require that you create a video of yourself in order to receive feedback, while other drawing lessons do not require this requirement. If you wish to learn more about how to draw, it may be better for you to stick with a painting or pencil drawing course rather than taking one that requires you to create a short video.
- Once you have decided how many lessons you need, you will be able to start looking for the perfect online art class. Most of the best drawing and painting classes provide a one-on-one student interaction that is a great way to learn how to draw better. The visual arts passage through each lesson is often accompanied by discussions between the teacher and student. You can work one on one with your teacher or work one on one with a private tutor.
- When you look for online art classes, you should also choose the ones that offer you various formats. For example, if you are taking one-on-one classes and you have your own computer, you should look for classes that are held on the internet on your own dedicated computer, not in someone else’s home or school. Taking such classes on your own dedicated computer allows you to work in your own time and at your own pace.
- In addition to teaching you the basics of drawing, most of the top online art classes today also provide free videos teaching you advanced techniques. Typically, these videos contain pre-recorded lessons with accompanying visual aids. Usually, the videos are not longer than five minutes and they include several lessons with accompanying visual aids. With the help of a good instructor and the guidance provided by your instructor, you can learn the techniques from the tips and tutorials provided in these videos.